Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Secret of the Turkey Hearts Revealed!


I don't have a photo of Phase 2 of the great turkey project, but that's probably for the best. The day before the meal, I made stuffing out of challah, sausage and fresh sage. My first attempt at purchasing challah resulted in the acquisition of two decent-looking loaves that revealed themselves to be disturbingly flecked with fake-looking orange zest and tinted apricot-colored throughout. Dessert challah! Who knew? A trip to Whole Foods yielded a challah that could swing both ways (sweet or savory). Disaster struck again while mincing three cups of onions for the stuffing. I also managed to mince off a big chunk of my index fingernail. I have very sharp knives. I was fortunate to locate the disembodied nail chunk before it could become lost forever in the stuffing. I now have a gnarly-looking pointer that I enjoy using to direct library patrons around my workplace.

The gravy was made, not with drippings from the turkey itself, but from the narsty bits: the back, the gizzard, the chest plates I trimmed from the bird during the spatchcocking process, the tail (which dear mama refers to as the Pope's Nose) and, of course, the heart. There was at least one other unidenifiable giblet in there as well, but the heart was gratifyingly heart-shaped and even had the little vessels attached as in the diagram above. I roasted all of this detritus along with a mess of coarsely-chopped veg, creating a nice little fond which was later deglazed, combined with some chicken stock and white wine and reduced for hours upon hours. During this period of time, with my hearts and giblets boiling merrily on my stove, I felt as much like a wicked witch as ever I have. This entire turkey project has been tinged with a delightfully macabre quality. Stay tuned: in tomorrow's post, the finished bird will be revealed!!!

2 comments:

marcy burth said...

the other part is the gizzard....Guinness used to hold out for a meal of cooked giblets not used in the gravy, but the juices were the base of the gravy.

DENICE said...

Indeed a great post, Apart from this I am an IT engineer & my father is suffering from cancer & Hematological Tests need to be performed. I want to get the best doctor for his treatment & one of my relatives suggested Susan Lim Group Surgical Practice . He said Dr. Susan Lim is who performed the first successful liver transplant in Asia. She is the expert in surgery. Do you guys have any idea about them? I will appreciate.