Monday, February 2, 2009

Kickin' it Old Skool

After a long respite, I baked some cookies today. The kids grabbed the recipe for these from a grocery store, I know not where, but whenever they take the initiative and seek a recipe out, I am duty-bound to cook it in order to encourage their interest in food, blah blah blah. These cookies required the purchase of a bag of Hershey's Kisses, TM. I tend to avoid recipes that list name-brand ingredients - there's clearly a conflict of interest involved. Selling product versus objective deliciousness is how I think of it. I also avoid recipes that strike me as too "down-home" or include the word "country." Why? Because I am a food snob who, living in Wisconsin, has no right to be one. And yet here are the Hershey's Kiss cookies. My yield was off by 8, which is going to keep me up tonight. That and the one flawed cookie that I bollixed up with my hand whilst removing them to the cooling rack. Thirty-nine flawless cookies, one demented one. WHY, GOD? WHY????

PS yes, I think Sandra Lee, of "Semi-Homemade" fame, is a delusional biotch and I would like to create a bonfire with all of her "cookbooks" and roast homemade rosewater-scented marshmallows over it.

1 comment:

eb said...

oh, sweet jesus. i am so with you on the sandra lee hate.
my sis and i sometimes watch her show on food network specifically to denounce everything she does with vituperative vigor and much bandying about of unprintable language. it's better than kickboxing for the rage-release.