Thursday, January 1, 2009

What Do You Do With a Head of Red Cabbage?




If it were left entirely up to me, my family's diet would be far less healthy. Lots of butter, lots of coconut milk, unlimited quantities of cheese - if I were a single girl, my cuisine might have ultimately devolved into me, sitting on the couch in my sweats with a whole stick of butter in my hand and chomping on it like a peeled banana. Caleb is a healthful influence, but sometimes he'll bring a so-called Superfood into the house without any overall design as to how it's going to fit into our shambles of a family meal plan. Recently, an entire head of red cabbage appeared in our fridge, and there it has sat, waiting for me to transmogrify it into a Dish. Hence the salad you see in its pre-assembled components: vinaigrette and Braeburn apples, shredded red cabbage with some very un-appetizing-looking dried cherries, and the spiced candied pecans I MADE MYSELF while buzzing from a big Starbucks latte, which is the unbilled ingredient in nearly every meal I make. The pecans were absurdly easy to make and smelled up the kitchen in a good way - brown sugar, cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce which sadly makes this a not-strictly-vegetarian recipe. The salad is meant to contain equal parts red and Napa cabbage but the overall raison d'etre here is to lay waste to an entire head of the red stuff, so the Napa has been benched. The kids will hate this recipe, I have little doubt, but it will probably add a good week or so to the lives of those of us who eat it.

2 comments:

marcy burth said...

Not likely to be on the menu from the 8th to the 18th of January....stuff them full of healthy foods now....later is all about ice cream, Sonny's Barbeque, Chinese buffet, hamburgers on the grill and all things nasty to be enjoyed at Grandma's

Unknown said...

Skinny girl,

love the way you slip in elegant words like "transmogrify". Have you seen a mysterious television commercial full of sticks of butter, protruding from all kinds of foods? I can't remember for the life of me what it is for (pretty certainly, some sort of heart-healthy margarine)-- but anyhow, lovely post, lovely recipe, very creative. I have a dumpy head of plain green cabbage cluttering up my 'fridge -- hope you tackle that produce in your next episode!

Rachel Ray (--not!)