Sunday, June 29, 2008

Starting my Blog


Hello as-yet-nonexistent blog readers and welcome to my first-ever post. I've been thinking about blogging for a while as a way to do some low-pressure writing but thought I lacked a topic to serve as the driving force - something that might be interesting to people who don't know me personally. It finally occurred to me that I spend most of my conversational real estate obsessing over food, and in particular, the warring culinary influences in my household. My own desire to cook ambitiously and internationally, my husband's frugality and lack of self-control with respect to baked goods, and my kids' desire to subsist on boxed macaroni and cheese and Fluffernutters. I have two young boys aged 5 and 6 who have recently become fascinated with cooking shows despite their reluctance to consume the end result of the recipes involved, so my longtime fantasy of involving the two dudes in my kitchen life is at last becoming real. So what I'm going to try to do with this blog is provide a hopefully-entertaining narrative of what goes on in a kitchen when a psychotic and compulsive mom and her two dudes try to cook various things. Digressions into other topics (pop cultural obsessions, etc) are promised. Also funnier posts. And pictures, as my competency increases. The pic here is me and the dudes, natch. We are going grocery shopping today; tonight's meal is a very un-seasonal pot roast with root vegetables, which we are cooking for my sister, brother-in-law and their four kids. Did I mention that our dishwasher is currently broken, and serving as an under-counter drying rack?

No comments: