Monday, June 30, 2008

Making Our Own Granola.

Today the boys and I made our own granola. This involved amassing lots of uninspiring-looking dry ingredients, most of which we scored from the bulk bins at Whole Foods: unprocessed sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, slivered almonds, and various dried fruits and nuts. The notion that items you buy in bulk from bins are cheap is, I am learning the hard way, often illusory. Red lentils - cheap. Dried blueberries - are sold at Whole Foods, I think, with a semiprecious gemstone embedded in each one. Homemade granola looked like disgusting slop before cooking but came out all goldeny brown and tasty-looking and might actually be good for us. The kids had a fascinating science lesson when we combined the water, oil and honey in a clear measuring cup and each ingredient settled into its own level, like a very, very disgusting pousse-cafe. There is probably some sort of grocery-cost algorithm, too depressing to calculate, that would reveal to me that homemade granola is comparable, per pound, to something like Alaskan crab legs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in your blog! reading your archives!

I am such a sucker for thinking that bulk=cheap and homemade=cheap, which sometimes causes me to lose big on one meal. I guess it balances out--buying most things in bulk saves you enough money to buy the non-cheap bulk things at the same time, and though some things might be much cheaper processed, making your own in general is cheaper (and healthier, blah blah).