Friday, August 6, 2010

The Cross-Country Chariot Awaits!



I apologize to my reader (hi, mom!) for the moribund quality of this blog for lo these many months. My excuse is primarily technical: new computer, new phone, lost passwords, blah de blah blah. But here I am back up on the blog, and for a special, non-food-related reason: EPIC ROAD TRIP. Oh, who am I kidding. The road trip is just a pretext for eating. The Dudes and I are off today for a nearly three-week tour of the east-southeastern section of this great nation of ours. It's a first in many respects. The boys have never been to 90% of the places we're visiting, I've never planned my very own grownup road trip before, and we're definitely venturing into new vistas of one-parenting. Because it's JUST ME and the guys. I have copious amounts of vacation time and adventure mojo, my husband does not. I have high hopes that, equipped with my new Droid, I am going to blog this trip like no trip has ever been blogged before, because the world breathlessly awaits.

Today's short, initial leg takes us to Chicago. Lodgings: hip sister-in-law's apartment in Wicker Park Adjacent. Departure time: 1PM, after tearful goodbye with sleepy-eyed husband. Planned stop: Mitsuwa, an Asian mall in the suburb of Schaumburg. The twin goals of this trip are to flip the boys' wigs and to spend as little money as possible. Vast amounts of provisions have been laid in. A cooler has been purchased. Many, many library books have been packed with the optimistic hope that all will make the return trip. Like Lewis and Clark (which makes me Sacajawea, I suppose. I'll take it.), we venture forth, calling up the road trips of my youth.

The first obstacle in getting out the door is persuading Oscar to part with the Playstation long enough to dispatch the following simple chore: "Choose your most comfortable pair of sneakers." So far, this task has stymied him for a solid hour. This will not stand.

No comments: