Friday, March 13, 2009

Digression: Loving Tilda Swinton


Holy crow. As those of you who've known me for a while (the entire reading audience of this blog, I think) might be aware, I have a longstanding, silly obsession with fashion that has very little to do with what I wear on a day-to-day basis. I like to think that if I became a celebrity (when, dammit. WHEN) I'd dress like Tilda Swinton. Envelope-pushing, sort of scary and demented with a real sense of humor. With an intimate familiarity of my own flaws and the bravery to accentuate them until they're art. She's not trying to look pretty, or cute. She eschews makeup - it's all about the architectural and sometimes nihilistic clothing. Sometimes a photo can just make your freaking day. As I write this, I'm wearing a St. Mary's College sweatshirt that was left behind by a law school friend ten years ago (Hi, Ky!) but wishing I was wearing the frock pictured above, with the library-model Kik-Step from my kitchen concealed under my skirt to create the illusion of even more height and willowy-ness. This makes me want to ransack my closet and search for the combination of garments that will make me most closely resemble a confused visitor from outer space. Swintonicity!

3 comments:

HLS said...

Mathilda, a.k.a. Tilda is very high on my list of names for my future hypothetical child. And not just because Tilda Swinton rocks (she does) or because she's a freaking albino (I suspect), but because there are very few names that go well with a vehicle-focused last name. Tilda Trucks actually works. As opposed to, say, Velvet Trucks. Or Scarlet Trucks. Or...well...you get the point. I like Minska Trucks, too, although Minksa is a made-up name which is never good. All of this is speculation, anyway, as I have no child, and even if I were pregnant, my odds of getting a girl child who I could name Tilda is 50/50.

I'm a secret fan of your blog, and I will continue to read it even after we're in New York, if only to keep yet another Wisconsin connection. Hugs.

nightshade said...

HOW could I have absented myself from this glorious blog for lo these many posts (am flashing through them now so don't know how many, just that I am, as usual, tickled amused informed. You might argue that tickled is different from amused but you are not here to see the upturned mouth corner versus, oh, whatever.
I might add that, except for the scary part, I thought you very Swinton-like in your wedding dress. The image sparked into my memory on reading this post.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to find another Tilda fan! I think she's such a great combination of weird and awesome. (Just saw her again in "Constantine," which was a dreadful movie, even with her creepily beautiful acting.) Thanks for assuring me I'm not alone.