Monday, July 7, 2008

Birthday.

It is my freaking, J.C.-on-a-popsicle-stick, tapdancing birthday. I am 35 today, a number that feels at a total disconnect to my age. On the one hand, one feels as if one has been alive FOREVER, and on the other, 35 is too old by far to still be worrying about (1) acne (2) what people I went to high school with think about how I look and (3) making perfectly-curated mix tapes for people upon whom I want to force my taste in music (The Handsome Family! Bill Monroe! "Teenage Kicks" by the Undertones overandoverandover!). No cooking for me tonight - I am working through the dinner hour in a passive-aggressive maneuver that prevents my birthday from being underwhelming before it even starts. BUT because I am pathetic, I told the lifeguards at our swimming pool to give me the Tootsie Pops that the three other birthday-celebrants were getting, even though all three of them were in the single-digits, age-wise.


Additionally, my husband has come across something called The Compact - a group of people organized through the Interweb and swearing to spend money on nothing for a year besides food and medicines. Well, "food" constitutes a fairly continent-sized carve-out in my book, encompassing everything from Taco Bell on up to things like 6-year-aged Manchego cheese and, you know - crab legs. Keeping the grocery bill down in These Hard Times is a massive issue in my house nowadays. I managed to spend $300 more on groceries last month than the month before, with nary a truffle or a cave-aged cheese to show for it. The only way I imagine this could have happened is if the budgeting software has accidentally categorized Anthropologie as a grocery store.

And no, it is not Ronald Reagan's birthday. I just think this is a hilarious cake, and I want it. I actually share my birthday with Ringo Starr, a.k.a. The Worst Beatle - the one who didn't write any of the songs and plays state fairs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I happen to think that your birthday was one of the most wonderful days of my life....thank you for being my daughter, friend, playmate and I am so proud of all that you do. I love you, Mom